Sunday, May 22, 2011

Gardening in the City!

When looking for our first home to purchase we swayed back and forth between pretty dramatic scenarios. We both have such an affinity for rural living and pioneer arts. But, we also have a clear calling (for now) to have a home that has an open door policy for our friends and whoever God wants us to love on. Through a lot of prayer and guidance we chose the city living.

At first it was not an easy pill for us to swallow, knowing there were so many things we were saying 'no' to. But, almost immediately we saw the blessings of that decision and have never second guessed it. Though, the desire for those things hasn't faded.

Between moving in 2 summers ago and then having Annabelle last summer, this was the first summer it was possible for a garden. I was determined to figure out a way to make gardening on our hilly and very shady city lot work!

Enter my incredibly creative, selfless husband and sons...

Without me even asking, Andy took over the project and told me he would love to make me a garden. So, for the past 2 months rain or shine, they have tirelessly been blessing me with the gift of their time and labor to make me a garden.







Preparing our seeds

3 comments:

Bergstroms said...

So cool! My cousin Julie just made the same thing! I hope to have the time someday :)

Looks like the boys had a blast!

Bergstroms said...

P.S. Could your family pics be more gorgeous?!?!

Amy said...

Oh my goodness, I would do anything for your backyard! It's such the ideal gardening plot. You can start small and add on each year as the kids get more independent.

Our photographer is a miracle worker!

The Kids

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers