Monday, August 16, 2010

Quilts for Uganda - DEADLINE

Last night our family was able to witness the engagement of a very dear couple to us. This couple has shared their lives with so many and we were all so touched to be a part of their special occasion.

While at the party, I found out that the woman of the house loved to sew so a couple of us were talking to her about our sewing/craft club we are starting. We told her our first month we are going to be working on quilts for Uganda. Well, come to find out her brother is adopting a little girl from Uganda and is leaving between Thanksgiving and Christmas to go get her. Coincidence, I think not!

After she called her brother today she informed me today that he can take up to 70pounds of our blankets to Uganda to personally hand them out to the children. This orphanage that his daughter is currently living in has about 40-50 children and NONE of them have their own bedding. Most of them share a sheet with another child and a good percentage of them sleep on the concrete floor.

My heart breaks for these children. I long for the day that they find forever homes. The Lord loves each and every one of these children just as much as he loves you and me.

She will be visiting her brother for Thanksgiving and will take him all of the blankets we have made up until that point. My goal is to get 70 pounds worth of blankets however many that will be. We praise you Lord for making there be a safe and secure way for these blankets to get to these children!

Please help make a difference for one of these children that so desperately needs the most basis human needs.

Let the countdown begin!

6 comments:

Kim said...

Amy-
I love the connection! I am excited to add to the collection soon. I wonder how many pounds you have already- it would be awesome if you could get them all done and sent so everyone gets one.

Mary Burnett said...

Amazing! I enjoy checking your blog from time to time. Jennifer Sloan is my sister-in-law, my brother's wife hence the connection. Thanks for checking my blog out! Your children are so cute and it was very interesting to learn more about home birth through Annabelle's arrival. Best wishes from PA!

Amy said...

Kim - I'm not sure about the weight. I'm going to talk to Jenn's brother and get a few more details because I want to make sure we maximize our options.

Mary - So fun to connect with you! I love new friends. I'm not sure if you're interested at all, but I have a lot more information about homebirths on another blog of mine: hospitaltohome.blogspot.com

Adam, Deanna, Reece and Mariemma said...

Amy,
I wish I could quilt! I have sewn many things but a quilt is not one of them. I will pray for many sweet blankets for the amazing little ones.

Abbi said...

My daughter has her quilt done and ready to send. My sons and I have ours on the list of things to work on this week. Thanks for the reminder, that will be neat to send them with someone!

Gillian Boucher said...

What if your not so crafty friend donates some blankets & quilts?! Tritan has sooo many & he only has 2-3 favorites. Let me know!! Would love to give these kiddos some bedding!

The Kids

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers