Saturday, July 2, 2011

Milk and Motherhood

Annabelle used her newest pearly whites to bite me while nursing about 3 weeks ago. I screamed. She of course cried. She has completely refused to nurse since then. She always implied she wanted to, but when it came time, she would resist and cry. It was so sad. I talked to multiple people about what to do and NO ONE had ever heard of such a thing. Never had a kid completely refused to nurse after that. I was on my own to figure out a solution.

So, I tried and pumped my milk and took some supplements to keep my supply up while she went through this season and tried to not make a big deal out of it, but continued to offer her milk occasionally. If I put it in a cup she was ecstatic. She would get so excited when she had it, but just would not nurse. We hoped that she would get over the trauma and resume nursing. But, after about a week, my supply dried up completely with no signs of her interested in nursing. Here she is drinking my milk for the very last time.



I'm in shock at how abrupt it all was. And how quickly that first year flew. I don't think I would be so in shock if this wasn't our last biological child, but chances are, she might just be.

She did however crawl up to me the other day while we were both in the tent together camping, and wanted to nurse, so I let her try, she gave me a big kiss and crawled right away. I have to say that was a pretty precious last nursing memory.

I will always cherish the amazing moments I was given being able to grow these children in my womb, birth them, and to nurse them through their first year of life. Each one of those minutes pouring into my children in their infancy has built the foundation of a bond between us that I pray will continue to strengthen as they grow.

I have messed up parenting, royally at times. But, I feel so blessed to have been given this opportunity to know my heavenly Father in a deeper way by having children of my own. I have learned forgiveness like never before. In my opinion, nothing destroys pride (if you let it) more than parenting. With each one of these children, I have been given the chance to become more like Christ.

I was made to be a mother, just like I was made to be a daughter of the King.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Great post, Amy! Love to you and your family!

The Kids

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers