Monday, April 23, 2007

A Little Girl's phone call

While checking Baby Isaac's blog this morning I was linked to someone (I have no idea who they are) posted about their little girl, calling Jesus, and asking for him to heal Isaac. Read this touching story...

This morning my Sweet Little One made a very special phone call! She loves babies–real babies, doll babies and pretend babies. One baby, particularly, has captured her heart and imagination: Isaac. Baby Isaac is a very real, very special, very sick infant who was born with hypoplastic left heart syndrome (HLHS) –a severe heart defect requiring many surgeries to repair and can be fatal. He has other health problems too, and a few times has not been expected to survive the night. Isaac, though, is a fighter with a message for the world. Here’s her phone call:
Sweet Little One gets her flip phone–ah, the modern day two year old!
She opens it up, makes it ring, and looks up to me, big eyes shining.
“Mom, it’s ringin’!”
“Who are you calling?”
“Jesus.”
“Why are you calling him on your phone?” I ask. We usually fold our hands to pray.
“He’s far away. He died. And he rose up,” is her simple, sweet, logical reply.
She puts the phone to her ear. She looks to the floor. Very quiet. It’s her and Jesus now.
“Good,” she says as if she’s answering the question “How are you?”
Pause.
“Playin’ with my toys.”
Pause again, “listening” to him. For all I know, she is! Then, a very serious tone creeps in.
“Baby Isaac is very sick. (slight pause) Mommy says you can make him better.”
She pauses again to listen. Then she answers his question–I have no idea what it could be.
“Yes!” with a huge grin on her face, eyes bright!
She listens again.
“He needs to get better so he can come to my church to play with me,” she answers sincerely.
She listens again.
“I know the Baby Isaac song.” She proceeds to sing ‘Jesus Loves Me,’ though she changes the words to “Jesus loves Baby Isaac…” (How right you are, Sweet Little One!)
She listens again, gazing up to the ceiling as she cradles her phone between her chin and shoulder.
Excited now.
“I know another song, too!” She sings the Barney song, which takes on a whole new meaning when you think of it with Jesus’ love! We really are one family.
“Bye” With that, she clicks her phone shut.
Please join Sweet Little One in prayer for Isaac and for all families touched by HLHS.

Oh Lord, may I have faith like a child! Teach me to trust you more today and to REJOICE in what you are doing through your people!

2 comments:

Gina Witcher / Runnermom4 said...

I saw this on a comment on the Leino's blog, but didn't follow the link. I'm glad you wrote about it. What an awesome story... and a tear jerker.

The Atkinson 6 said...

Hi Eckerts,

I am a friend of the Leino's and Gina Witcher. I thought you may like to know that the "little one" you are writing about is Karen Dawkin's daughter. Karen has a website for women where she hopes to enlighten and empower us (www.joyfuljungle.com) and where she also shares wonderful stories.

Her "little one" was adopted almost 2 years ago from China and is a very funny, very sweet, very strong willed wonderful bundle of love!

I found your site through Isaac's site and have enjoyed reading it!

All4Him,
Erika

The Kids

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers