Monday, June 18, 2007

Samuel's Birthday Present

I am building Samuel a rocking horse for his Birthday. I have been very excited about this project because it is my first with some old fashioned tools I just ordered off of Ebay.

The style of woodworking I am really interested in is called traditional woodworking. To clarify, I will make the horse start to finish using only traditional hand tools. No electricity, no modern gadgets, only things you might find in an exhibit at Colonial Williamsburg.

I identified my interest in this type of work in 2005 when I began building a log cabin dog house for Lutalo and Gamba.

Anyway, this is my first project that will involve mortice and tenon joinery, and experimentation with a variety of old tools you will see in the pictures. The project will be complete in time to present to Samuel on his Birthday, July 17th.

As you can see, he has been helping me with it.

3 comments:

Alana said...

That is so cool! I can't wait to see the finished product. Samuel is adorable btw.

Unknown said...

Too cute! And creative! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Hey, would you be interested in a five million dollar two year contract to make rocking horses and other similar wood projects professionally? If so get in touch with me, because people like you are in high demand and I would be willing to sponsor you.

The Kids

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers