Friday, January 22, 2010

My First Uganda Quilt

In dozens of ways the Lord has placed Africa on our hearts. One of those ways was through the Nelsons. It was after we decided to support Special Hope Network did we find out that one of the countries they will be traveling to is Uganda. There along with several other countries they will be helping out orphans with intellectual disabilities.

Holly, the wife, is an avid sewer and is leaving behind her most valued possessions (her sewing things) with me. I thought using one of her fabrics was so fitting to use as my first quilt.

So without further ado... my first quilt for the precious babies of the Sanyu Babies Home:



In Quilting for Peace, a woman's words brought balance into my perfectionistic world and made me really focus on my objective:
"Think about what the goal is," Susan says about making binkies. "If the goal is to comfort a child, take all the other stuff out of it. Take out the 'I want it to line up, I want it to match this picture.' Bring it down to the simplest goal you have: What would comfort a child?"
It feels great to finally have one done. 1 down, 49 to go! With my goal of making one quilt a month I'm on a good start with finishing 9 days early. Woohoo.

I am thrilled that this project has inspired so many of you to join in. I've already lost count as to how many have contacted me saying that they want to make a quilt. I can't wait to see how all of our talents come together to bring such joy to these children. Keep up the sewing friends. We'll be there before you know it!

5 comments:

noahandlylasmommi said...

That is awesome. What a beautiful quilt!

Love said...

hi there! i found you through a search for sanyu babies home. i search every now and thing to see if there are volunteers there posting so i can get a peek at the sweet children i fell in love with while there.
we brought our son home from there last fall. =)
thank you so much for doing this! do you still need more people to donate quilts? i'd be happy to see if i can spread the word if you need more.

Amy said...

Love, absolutely we need more help! Share it with everyone you know :) You can take my button at the top right of our sidebar if you'd like to let people know.

I don't have a time frame. Of course, the sooner, the better!

Briana said...

This is great Amy! I love to quilt, and my goal this year is to FINISH projects I've already started, but I'd love to contribute to the orphanage as well. :) When we get to VA I'll have a lot more time on my hands too, so I can really get down to business on the quilting!

Amy said...

Yay girls I am so thrilled you want to help.

Briana maybe we can quilt TOGETHER very soon :) I would love that!!!

The Kids

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers