Thursday, May 27, 2010

147 Million Orphans

Last October when our family traveled to Tennessee to attend an adoption conference we were heavily impacted specifically by the orphans of Uganda.

There was a booth there called 147 Million Orphans. I found myself in a conversation with a woman who was waiting for the green light to head over to Uganda to pick up her newest additions, a little boy and a little girl.

Before this conversation we were not even aware that Uganda was a country that was open for international adoptions.

God made it very clear to us the needs of this country and put in our hearts a desire to make a different for the children of Uganda. We are still praying through what that is going to look like for our family. And what makes it so easy to remember to pray for these children is a necklace I wear almost on a daily basis. I got the necklace at the conference from the 147 Million Orphans table.

Here is a little about them:
We are proud to partner with Katie Davis and the wonderful women of the Karamojong tribe to offer you these beautiful necklaces created by hand and from re-cycled magazines … Our goal is to help these women maintain sustainable income for their families … We will be purchasing these necklaces from them and also sending 50%+ of the proceeds back to a feeding program run by Amazima Ministries. It is a beautiful full circle story of the body of Christ.
So, if you have a heart for orphans or just simply want to get an awesome necklace, please purchase some of these necklaces. They are awesome gifts! I am asked almost every time I'm out about mine. It's an incredible way to spread the awareness of the needs of these orphans.

If you're interested in helping out in another tangible way, please consider sewing or donating funds to help build our supply of blankets to send over to an orphanage in Uganda.

I cannot wait to share with you some recent quilts that have been finished. God is moving and I am so excited to be a part of what he's doing! Will you join me?

2 comments:

Penny Lane said...

I have one of these necklaces too. I keep it in my office and it often reminds me to pray.

Lora said...

i love my necklace, too. it is such a special thing...

The Kids

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers