Wednesday, August 10, 2011

My Summer Sewing Class

For 6 weeks over the summer I have been able to take a sewing class with one of my friends, Kim. It has been awesome. We were the only two in the class and really were able to cover some good ground with our sewing skills. There were a lot of firsts for me in this class:

I tried sewing with my serger for the first time.
I sewed with a knit fabric for the first time.
I used elastic thread for the first time.
I finished my first (and second) dress for Annabelle.
I made sleeves for the first time.
I made something with a button for the first time.

I can hardly keep this girl still now that she's walking. So here's the best picture of this dress I could get.

The other dress is for when she's bigger so I'll post a picture of that when she's in it.

This class was a huge motivation for me to get over this sewing bump-in-the-road I was finding myself in. I learned a lot of skills that will keep me busy for some time.

Kim and I are going to try and keep up with our Friday night sewing together and inviting girls from the church who want to learn to sew. About 12 of them (it seems) are pregnant so I think I'll be walking them through some baby quilts. I'm very excited to be using this hobby of mine to help others.

2 comments:

Lora said...

what a cute dress! so glad you got to do that class. :)

Mary said...

i still want to learn! let me know when is good for you!

The Kids

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers