Thursday, November 29, 2012

39 Weeks - Random Reflections

We are just one week away from that "magical" date of pregnancy. The day I've repeated more times than I could possibly count - December 6th.

I've been here before but every go around always has it unique characteristics. This iteration finds me physically sick. Just a simple head cold, but I'm realizing that having a simple cold while 39 weeks pregnant with 3 small children does not feel simple any way you look at it.


A very sweet friend was having an etsy sale the other day so I decided to buy myself a pair of earrings I had been wanting for quite some time. I suppose I could call them a "push present" to myself. They certainly brought a big smile to my face as I opened them today! I cannot wait to wear them. Especially before our baby girl quickly enters the grabbing mommy's earrings phase, and then they'll be retired for about a year!




I have never been a week away from my due date before and actually been hoping the baby holds out a little longer, but that is the case here. I certainly was not here mentally or physically a week ago. It has taken me 4 pregnancies to finally understand what "rest" truly means. I am a slow learner. Slowing down with 3 kids is hard, but even when I feel like we did slow down, it wasn't as much as my body needed. This past week I did just that. Completely did nothing most days. I've made meals, kept up with the laundry and the dishes (somewhat), taken the boys to gymnastics, gone to a couple appointments, but basically just read hundreds of pages of books. I do not lie. We've finished 3 large chapter books in a week! It has been glorious.

The kids have miraculously been able to find creative ways of burning off their energy mostly indoors instead of the usual longer sessions outside in the yard or at parks. And, I've been able to oversee from the couch. I'm realizing my limitations and I now have no shame when I have to resort to all of us having some down time watching a movie. Pregnancy (and parenthood in general) is humbling like that. Ideal? No. But, realistic, yes! I'll be glad to get back to my normal self, (whatever that is) once the baby comes, but right now, I'm really trying to soak up these last "calm" days of life as a family of 5.


Truly resting has found me in a very different place. I have much more peace this late in the pregnancy than the others - I hope it lasts. My body is quite content. It is not spasming out on me contracting all the time, therefore not giving me the false impression that labor is imminent. I truly don't feel like labor is right around the corner, which is nice. Hopefully this deliver will come and go without all the false alarms like Samuel's and Annabelle's. Oh my, those were tough mentally, physically, spiritually and emotionally. (Joseph came at 38 weeks and 1 day, and labor started with my water breaking).


The Lord is so patient with me. You would think by now I would have this whole cycle down pat, but no. I'm still fumbling through the same lessons on the 4th go around. On a brighter note, though, I do feel like I'm making progress!


My thoughts as I enter into this holy season:


* God's grace is TRULY all I need to get me through.

* Birth is God's time. I am just a vessel He is using to bring one of his precious children into this world.
* I will only have peace when my mind is fixed on the Lord. My soul finds rest in God alone.
* The Lord gives strength to the weary.
* This birth is one means of God working to grow me in maturity and endurance. I will be stronger in my faith if I rely completely upon Him to accomplish His good work.
* I can lay my requests before the Lord and wait in anticipation that He will answer them!

Praise God he does not leave me or forsake me during such a season as this!

Thinking back on how much I struggled during the early stages of this pregnancy I am completely humbled at God's goodness to bring about this pregnancy to term. I was so doubtful that God could possibly bless us with yet another healthy child! God is a giver of good gifts. He loves to bless his children lavishly. And in our case (among other things) he loves to bless us with many children. We are honored he has chosen us to steward yet another precious blessing!

We are giddy in anticipation of meeting this baby, but also know God's timing is perfect and we are trusting in His perfect plan for her life. What he has started, he will finish it to completion! Praise God.

Now off to bed to try and truly kick this cold!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying for you! You are a strong vessel of the LORD, who provides all our needs! Love you! Sarah R

Amy said...

Thank you so much, Sarah!

Bergstroms said...

I know EXACTLY how you feel! I was in no hurry this time around. Enjoy the rest, can't wait to see her! And find out her name :)

Amy said...

Thanks, Pam :)

Lora said...

i'm so happy you were blessed by the earrings - i hope you love wearing them!!
and i'm so proud of you of how you're choosing to trust the Lord and keep your eyes on Him through these waiting days!
and let me encourage you with this - going from three to four children was such an easy transition for me! honestly, having four is much easier than having three!! :) it's gonna be an awesome new season for you, my friend!
praying for you,
lora

Amy said...

Thanks Lora for those encouraging words. I've heard going from 3 to 4 is not that bad. I'm praying I have a similar experience :) Now, if I can just get everyone well again, I can wear my new earrings to church tomorrow!

The Kids

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers