Tuesday, September 11, 2007

I Am A Homemaker!

I don't have any other homemaker friends around. It's a hard life to lead with little moral support. It's a lonely life when there are no other women who share your biggest hearts desire. I have begun to gain encouragement from other women's blogs online. On in particular that I just found is Abbi's. She sees life through the same lens I do, and I am always rejuvenated when I visit her site. Today she had a great post about homemaking. Here is a quote from a book she is reading from John Seymour: Forgotten Household Crafts.

When a woman says she is a housewife she should say it with the utmost pride, for there is nothing higher on this planet to which she could aspire."
If I could only live every day as though I really do truly believe that, then all would be well in my world. I have no greater passion in life than to make our house a home and to give my family the best of everything I can provide. No mother's life is easy, that is for sure. We get down on ourselves and question if we are doing the best we can. I had a mother who did it all, worked full time and was the greatest provider a child could want. How am I seemingly struggling with staying home?! It's a mystery. But, when I'm having one of those days where I can't seem to get the confidence to convince myself that what I'm doing here is truly making a difference and that it matters to my family I have a loving Savior who reminds me:
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30.
What a relief to know that I do not have to do it on my own. I have a Savior who is waiting to carry me along. He does not want to carry me along just when I am having difficulties on my own, but for me to find rest in Him every day of my life. I can't imagine a better solution to my problems.

4 comments:

Mindy Caron said...

Hi Amy! Thanks for your blog and your honest post on being a stay at home Mom. I can relate to you and appreciate you bringing up Matthew 11:28! What a blessing that was to read and be reminded of. Blessings to you as you serve your family!!

P.S. I'm a friend of Abbi's and found your blog via her blog! Small world!

Gina Witcher / Runnermom4 said...

Amy, I don't know if I make it clear on my blog, but I stay at home and also homeschool 4 kids between the ages of 6 and 2, three of them being boys. I am now really beginning to see the rewards of being able to train my kids all the time. It is definitely a challenging task and takes every ounce of mental emotional and physical energy that I have, but when a few get to where they can do things for themselves you really begin to see the rewards. You are also in the hardest times... when you have to do everything for everybody and maintain a home and be a wife to your husband. God is truly the resource... and He will give you everything you need at the right time so that you can encourage someone else when they are where you are at.

Anonymous said...

Amy, I can empathize with your feelings. Altho I parented a long time ago, your struggles are not unlike those of yesteryear. You are so wise to realize the sufficiency of God's Word. We are so blessed to have the written word to guide us. I especially am glad you recognize the sacrifice your mom made for you. She had a great responsibility and did a great job raising you. Now that you are a parent you are more aware of this. You would not be who you are without her love and care for you.
Please know I am praying for you as you bounce around with this hormone issue. You are a great mom and I am so proud of you. Gram

Abbi said...

Amy,
Thanks so much for the comments about my blog. It has been so fun to get to know others via the internet. Though I do have homemaking friends (and sisters) it is still fun to be encouraged by other homemaker's blogs. Have a great day!

The Kids

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers