Thursday, September 13, 2007

Reflections from Class

Last night Andy's Bible made it into the car, but mine did not. Since he was practicing a huge amount of selflessness and took my place for nursery duty last night, I was able to use his Bible for my class. I felt like I was in a different country using his Bible.

I am lost without my Bible!

This is not the reason for my post, but the notes to the class last night are in his Bible, which he took to work, of course! I will try and recap because it is just something well worth sharing with my fellow friends.

We started our fall classes a few weeks ago at church. I am taking a class on prayer, taught by Denise, the lovely wife of the Patrick I briefly mentioned a few posts ago. Since he now has such a big head because I mentioned him two times in the same post I need to boast about his wife and remind him that she is way cooler than he is!

She is a blessing, let me tell you. She loves the Lord with everything she has and she is so passionate about the topic of prayer. Her experiences in life are hilarious in hindsight, but while she was going through them I'm sure were not. She shares from her heart and I have truly been blessed to have her in my life.

Each week we are studying a different character in the Bible and learning from an experience they went through to learn more about prayer and how God works through prayer. This week was Daniel. The Lord was able to use Daniel for some supernatural things because Daniel was humble in heart and willing to be used by God. We were in Daniel 10 when Daniel saw a vision of a man. Some pretty strange stuff went on. Daniel lost his speech but when the messenger touched him it was restored.

I'm going to be honest and say that I've never felt anything that crazy before in my life. But, it's not because I don't believe that can still happen today. It was quite a challenge though. Made me really ponder if my actions truly show that I believe that God works the same ways today that he did during the days the Bible was written. It's a controversial topic, I know, but I'd love to hear your thoughts. Because I know some believe He does not work the same ways He use to. This topic is just so near to my heart. I could talk about it for hours. I know some of you could too!

We talked a lot about giving up control of our lives and letting God lead where He wants us to go. That's so easy to say, but such another thing to actually do. How in the world could I possibly know what's best for my life when God created me and knows absolutely everything about me. I can hardly decide what I'm making for dinner each night, much less where and if we should move from here! If we give Him control He will lead us and make those decisions clear.

All in all I have gained so much encouragement through this class. It has jump started a deeper prayer life and has reminded me just how powerful our God is and how much he truly wants us to draw closer to Him. I need to practice a lot more praying and a lot less doing. It's when I try and get in the middle of something God is working on it gets all messed up. If I could just sit back and give Him control I can't even imagine what He would be capable of doing.

Thank you Lord for not leaving me in charge of my life! I would be utterly lost without you.

2 comments:

Alana said...

Amy-that is cool that you are learning more about prayer and even taking a class on it! dan has been studying it the past year and has been learning a lot too. I'll recommend a book from him, its called How To Pray by R.A. Tory. I have only skimmed it, but it is a short book. it is an old book, so some of his language is...um...older. :)
glad you and andy let your yellow mellow. oh and i dont know about our septic systems since we live in an apartment.

Anonymous said...

What a cool blog, and an awesome entry I might add!! I'm so glad you're enjoying class. I'm loving it too. Thanks for the encouragement!! I love having you in class, and I love having you for a friend!! Have a blessed day! :)Denise

The Kids

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers