Thursday, April 22, 2010

Inevitable Change

Our den currently looks like this:

But in the eyes of these boys:

The junk needs to be cleared out and these need to go up, much sooner rather than later:

And eventually all this fabric that they picked out made into 2 quilts:

The beds totally took us off guard. Andy and I were just walking around an antique store on our way home from our anniversary get-a-way when we saw them. They were too good to pass up.

I was so against this idea for so long, but now that I've accepted all the change, I'm excited.

I spent so long setting up their current bedroom making it look just so. I was not ready for them to just move out of it onto bigger and better things. And, I also wanted to be able to design some new bedding and accessories just for Annabelle. But, I designed their room to be gender neutral just 'in case' we ever had a girl and wanted her to end up in there, we could arrange that without any changes. So, good thing it is not super boyish. I'm not going to change a thing. I might add a few girlie features, but that would be it. And, I get to figure out how to design the boys' new big boy room. How exciting!

The boys are going to be moving out of their current bedroom and will be moving into the room that is currently the den/sewing room (pictured above). And, now we will have permanent beds for our guests to sleep in (the boys' beds). A problem that we've been struggling with since we moved into this house.

So, after all the delaying of the inevitable, the boys are getting big boy beds, Annabelle is getting their old room and the den is no longer... It's exactly what we were avoiding, but it's the most obvious solution.

*******

As resistant as I was to giving up our den, the Lord was really able to work in my heart. Here I am complaining that we don't live in a bigger house and I can have the luxury of having an entire room to sew.

Here I am so excited about our next child, but not excited about what the presence of this next child in our home will look like and the sacrifices it will require of me.

How selfish of me.

We comment about how we'll have to move out of our house soon if we keep having kids. It just makes me realize how spoiled we are as Americans to think we need all of this space to live. Andy and I are probably some of the richest people in the world material wise and we complain about not having enough.

We sure do have enough, enough materials to keep our eyes focused on ourselves and off of the Lord who wants to be our true provider of happiness.

What we don't have enough of is faith. Faith that the Lord will meet all of our needs (not wants) and that he will grow us during these seasons where we feel as though we're being stretched beyond what we can bear.

I love it that we serve a God who cares about the little things and wants us to be happy, yes, but even more so, for us to be holy. And making us holy isn't always a fun process.

*And In case you're wondering, yes, I'm writing this post to avoid cleaning the den :)

3 comments:

Lora said...

You're doing awesome, Amy! God is so pleased with your heart. :) lora

Amy said...

You are so encouraging, Lora. Thanks so much for your kind words.

Jennifer said...

Great post! I went through the same feelings. I didn't want the boys to have to room together. I wanted everyone to have their own room and a guest room, too! How selfish I was! We are so blessed and have so much more than many! We are so well provided for and I am much more aware of how richly He provides for us!! Thanks for being transparent on your blog! It helps me feel more "normal"

The Kids

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers