Friday, August 24, 2007

I Should Have Been Born A Long Time Ago

I feel out of place in this world of fashion magazines and malls.

I like quilting, baking and especially my new hobby, canning, more than most anything else in this world. Yesterday I did all of those things. I couldn't have imagined a better day. (Okay, if Andy was home all day that would have been better).

We started our day off in the garden picking tomatoes until our hearts content.

Then we made some salsa and canned it. It turned out very yummy!

We then took our new mixer for a test run and it performed superbly! We made jalapeno cheddar rolls.



Then we finished the evening out with some quilting. I have a bunch of quilts I have had going for the last year that I was making for my sewing group back in NC. I'm determined I'm going to get them all done and then the various ones done that I've started for our family before this little critter comes!

It was the first time I've quilted since Lutalo hasn't been with us. He was ALWAYS laying right in the middle of my quilts, no matter what. Gamba could not have cared less about what I was doing. But, the second I laid the layers down to start pinning them together Gamba appeared out of nowhere and wanted to lay on just a corner, by the end of my quilting session he had taken his part right out of the middle. I promised him I would never yell at him to get off a quilt. Now, ask him nicely I will, but not yell. I like it so much that he is laying on it just like Lutalo use to always do.



That makes me happy.

And come to think of it, the entire day yesterday made me happy. I think I will make time for more of that stuff more often. After all, it's what makes a house a home!

And to top it all off, it was BJ's birthday. I've lost track after all these years, but I'm quite confident he turned 16 years old yesterday! I've had him since I was around 8. I don't remember life without him! Happy Birthday Buddy Junior! Here's to 16 more years :)


My dad would have also been 51 yesterday. Happy Birthday Daddy, I love you!

5 comments:

Gina Witcher / Runnermom4 said...

Wow, what an awesome blog. I wish I had the patience to quilt and can. I actually would like to try both when our life calms down a little. My grandmother had a garden and canned or froze everything. I would love to live like that.

I also love the story about Lutolo sitting on your quilt. That sounds so much like my kitty Oreo. He just wanted to be where I was and was such a gentleman.

julie said...

Sounds like a great day. I'm with you - ironically enough my career was in Fashion Merchandising working right in the middle of New York City. Now and days, our best days are at home - no tv, lots and lots of creative messes.

your quilts look great.

Pam and Anders said...

That was such a sweet story about Lutalo!

I'm planning a crafty Saturday, but more along the lines of scrapbooking and cross-stitch. I'm still working up to knitting and quilting! :)

Anonymous said...

I just love reading your blogs. I can hear you as I read. You are so missed around here. Love the pictures of Gamba. Give his ears a rub for us. And Mr. Samuel...what a big helper! That little guy just keeps getting more handsome.

Anonymous said...

Wish I were there to help you quilt, can and bake, sweetie.....but you know, mostly I'd just be playing with my favorite little guy in the whole world, Samuel. Great picture of BJ!
Love, Mom xoxoxoxoxo

The Kids

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers